Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I'm screwed up

I have spent a little more than a year complaining to various doctors about the pain in my arms and right shoulder.  I've been put on steroidal anti-inflammatories despite me saying they don't work, I've seen a neurologist who told me I just overuse my right arm, I've been met with shrugged shoulders, comments like "That's odd," "Huh," "Oh you work at the airport you must lift a lot of bags...take some Aleve and go do some physical therapy."  I've had my blood drawn, reflexes tapped, push here pull there.....*BLANK STARE*

Finally my current physician referred me to an orthopedist who took x-rays of my neck and, despite no obvious issues, he recommended an MRI.  A week later I had a diagnoses of a small disc bulge at C4-5,  minimal disc degeneration with a small disc extrusion and minimal right foraminal narrowing at C5-6, mild disc degeneration, a small disc extrusion, and moderate right foraminal stenosis at C6-7.

For those of you who don't understand all that mumbo jumbo (like me) basically it means I have a couple screwed up discs in my neck and they are causing a nerve (or two I suppose) to hurt like holy Hell.  In a couple of weeks I'll have a nerve study done by a neurologist to pinpoint what nerve(s) are being affected.  Then he can have a better understanding of what to do to make my boo boos go away. 

So if you ever find yourself feeling like a searing dagger has been stabbed through the back of your shoulder and causes torturous pain to resonate through your elbows and arms, tell your doc to have your neck looked at.  Because I've never had any trauma to my neck, no one figured they needed to look there...

Onward and upward...

No comments: