Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ask and ye shall receive

Thank you to the five awesome readers who asked life's burning questions!  Today I'll torture astound you all with an answer to a question provided by a lovely loyal reader, Stacia.  When Stacia isn't dutifully responding to my posts, you can find her at her most awesome blog, Simply Stacia.  Please pay her a visit, and thank you Stacia for playing along!

Q:  Did you go to your prom? If so, what was it like? 


Yes, I did go to prom! The year was 1991 and I was about a week shy of my 16th birthday.  My parents were very strict on the whole "no dating before 16" rule, the rule that magically dictates when an adolescent is responsible enough to be let out of the house to cavort with a *GASP* boys.  Since I was so close to that magic number, Mom and Dad allowed me to go on this ONE. DATE.

The dress I wore was worn by my three sisters above me - it was purchased by my oldest sister, so I had years to fantasize about the day I'd get to wear it.  By the time I was 15.98 years old, I had developed quite a womanly body.  I had a huge rack which I was extremely self-conscious of, and the dress I wore provided about a half-inch of cleavage whose exposure left me feeling mortified and nearly naked the entire night.  The thought of someone actually seeing that skin, the thought of my boobs being seen as something even slightly sexual, made me incredibly anxious.

I would have felt more comfortable dressed as a nun.

I was taller than my date which added to the insecurities I had already felt, so all night I felt like a half-naked sasquatch - albeit a pretty half-naked sasquatch.  In spite of my physical hang-ups, I really did have a fun time.  We doubled with my sister Amy and her now-husband, and had some good clean fun like good Mormon girls do.

Now you can't go to prom without getting pictures taken, right??  Typical pose, typical theme, typical HUGE hair and '90s bangs-to-heaven.  What is not typical however, is what was peeking out from beneath my dress...yup, those are fucking TOES.  Even though I towered over my poor date the whole night, I did not want to have the evening commemorated with an actual photo of sasquatch, so I removed my shoes right before we were posed.  I never stopped to think that my incredibly long, finger-like toes encased in white nylons, would photo-bomb our picture.



I remember hoping my date trashed his set of pictures, as I pretty much ruined them with my peek-a-boo-playing paws.

So there's my story about prom.  Thank you for asking that question Stacia, I always enjoy a good laugh whenever I think of that night and see this picture.  It's too bad that dress isn't still around.  Amanda would totally rock those polka dots!

13 comments:

A Daft Scots Lass said...

You looked gorgeous! I'm a Stacia's newest follower.

Keith Wynn said...

I actually never went to prom for some reason. Probably because I was super nerdy back then and had no date prospects :-)

Kariemcrae said...

You were cute. Isn't funny that the guys didn't catch up to us until after we graduated? I dated college guys my senior year (because of this). I am impressed that you still have the pictures. I have lost all of my dance pictures....damn it would be fun to look back!

Melissa said...

Hahaha! This is such a great story ... full of the trials and tribulations of what it's like to be 16 (actually do those feelings and inescurities ever truly go away?)

Was the theme Phantom of the Opera? Epic ...

http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.co.uk/

kate said...

I love it! Love the picture too.. too funny!

www.studentswife.com

the rat said...

you were lovely. I would tell you about my prom but it would start out with me hitching up the wagon and getting oil for the lantern. 1991! I have 5 children born in the 1970's. Guess I will go take a nap.

the rat

Linda Medrano said...

You look adorable. And he's not that short! But is face is a little fractured. LOL! I went to all my proms beginning when I was 14. (But I was not a good Mormon girl. I was a bad Catholic girl.)

The Accidental Somebody said...

I know he's not THAT short, but for someone who was coming to terms with being tall, the fact that he wasn't bigger than me (his hands were smaller too) made me feel uncomfortable. Weird, I know. And my parents would have NEVER let me date at 14!! Lucky bad Catholic girl.

The Accidental Somebody said...

I bet it's still a great story, even if you're old as dirt. :)

The Accidental Somebody said...

No, they never go away! And yup, it was Phantom. Sooooo cool.

The Accidental Somebody said...

I have way too many pictures and things from my youth - I've really pared down and still have a lot!

The Accidental Somebody said...

I bet we would have hit it off!

Steve said...

Thanks Kim, great story. Someday I'll scan a picture of me in my peach tux. Okay, maybe not.

Steve