Tuesday, January 13, 2009

*sigh*

Today was a good day. The kids were in good spirits, I have felt pretty good...just grateful for a good day! Every day after I pick Brandon up from kindergarten I go to Dave's house and let the dogs out for a few minutes. It is so exciting to see my furry babies, and they go nuts when I arrive. It's amazing how therapeutic animals can be, as they love you regardless of what's going on in your life.

Once a week after Brandon and I pick up Amanda from school, we head on over to Li's Chinese Restaurant where we have been going for years. We sit at the same table, each get an order of steamed dumplings, and some egg drop soup (with the exception of Brandon). It's a great time, we enjoy chatting with the woman who waits on us every week, and it's our little ritual that we have created.

Our situation is delicate and I pay close attention to Amanda and Brandon, to their body language and to the little things that are said that convey more meaning than they realize. Except for the occasional sleep-deprived meltdown, they are such happy kids. We have fun together, and they have a blast with their dad. I can only envision their therapy sessions when they become adults, and I hope that I haven't scarred them for life.

Our good day ended on a good note...literally. Every night we sing "Angel Lullaby" (some of you know that song!) and hold each other as we sing together. I will never tire of feeling their little warm hands wrapped around me, or their fingers touching my cheeks, or their tight hugs and precious kisses. I enjoy hearing their side of the conversations they have with their dad when they talk to him before going to bed. They are excited to tell him about their day and how they did in school. I am truly proud of them in ways I can't explain.

No comments: