Sunday, December 20, 2009

Thank you

I don't like to ask for help, especially when I know it's an inconvenience for others.  My best guy Josh told me he would install my passenger side window... yes, the one that's been missing for a month and a half.  I dropped my car off with him yesterday morning, and he and his eight-year-old daughter picked me up from work that evening.  Along the way she whispered a thing or two to him and eventually told me they had a surprise waiting for me at their house.

They led me to the garage where, sitting like the Hope Diamond in a beautiful display case, my car beamed with pride.  Immediately I noticed it had been scrubbed clean - with the plastic covering the giant window void, I hadn't been able to wash my car.. and it was filthy.  It reminded me of the day eleven years ago when we bought it brand new... and it was a beautiful midnight blue.  Tonight, after living in many shades of brown, gray, whitish-gray, brownish-blue, and mud, it was that beautiful midnight blue again.

I opened the door and saw that it was so clean on the inside I began to wonder if it was really my car.  It was spotless!  The interior was vacuumed, wiped clean, de-junked, and smelled of anything but crap.  WOW.  I then ran around to the other side where I saw the window... no more ugly rattly plastic/duct tape.  There was a window there.  For real.  I even rolled it down and then back up again for old time's sake.

Still in shock and muttering "thank yous" over and over again, Josh's daughter pointed out the wheels.  I looked at where the hubcap had been missing, and in its place was a shiny new one.  And guess what... ALL the tires had shiny new hubcaps!!  GAH!!!  NEW HUBCAPS!!!!  My whitetrashmobile looked so beautiful I wanted to cry!!  Do I need a reason to add more exclamation marks?!?!

Bottom line is, someone turned a "simple" favor into a day-long project, and thought nothing of it.  Nothing feels better to me - makes me feel more loved - than when someone goes out of their way to do something for me.  Especially something unexpected. 

Josh and his daughter went so far above and beyond, that words can not describe how truly grateful I feel.  My car has been a huge source of stress, not only for me but for Amanda as well.  She desperately wanted that window fixed and will be so happy when she sees it.  I can't wait to see the look on her face! 

So this is for you Josh... for you and your little girl.  Thank you for helping me; thank you for taking your valuable time and money to make my old ratty car beautiful again; thank you for caring about me and my kids.  I know I don't owe you for your efforts; please just know that they mean more to me than you will ever understand.

With love and gratitude...
:)
 

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That is awesome! Makes me a little teary-eyed.

Jjaus10 said...

Anytime Kim

Me