Friday, March 30, 2012

Oddballs

The kids and I have some odd rituals - those of you with kids know what I'm talking about.  Those things we do when we have to say goodbye, or kiss goodnight, or whatever, they are rituals that keep us all on the emotional up and up and apparently keep everyone from having meltdowns until we reunite again.

Even at the ages of 11 and 8, the rituals are in full effect.

Every night the three of us lay on my bed and read for about 45 minutes or so.  If I have school the next day I tuck the kids into their beds when the clock says 9:30.  When I kiss Brandon we kiss, hug, kiss, do a hand-slap kind of thingy, then do a little touch with our forefinger and thumb that says "I love you," followed by copious amounts of I love you Mom, I love you Brandon, I love you too Mom, Go to sleep Brandon...

Amanda's decided that she needs a kiss, a hug, a kiss and a finger-thumb "I love you" too, but must be followed by the McDonald's clap thing.  You know how it goes...Big mac filet o'fish, quarter pounder, french fries, icy coke, thick shake, sundaeeeees, and apple PIE.  If you don't know what I'm talking about let me know and we can make a video of the hilarity.  We're lucky if we only do it once, that means we didn't completely screw it up.  This is also followed by the same I love you Mom, I love you Amanda, I love you too Mom, Good night Amanda... 

HOWEVER

If I have work the next day I have to wake up around 3:30, so I try to get to sleep before the kids' 9:30 bedtime.  In that case, the kids read while I put on my Mask of Snoro (read: sleeping mask) and I sleep.  When it's time for them to go to bed, I'm quietly awakened and we complete the requisite goodnight rituals.  I don't bother to take off the Mask of Snoro and I'm half dead to the world while I Big mac and filet o' fish - you can only imagine how we must look, but it gets the job done.  The kids go to bed knowing they are secure, I go to bed knowing they know they're secure, and life goes on.

Do you have any odd rituals, kids or no kids?  Or are we the only oddballs?


 

5 comments:

Keith Wynn said...

I have and oddball ritual with my neice and nephew. Whenever I come to visit, they literally tackle me on the floor with affection and tickle the daylights out of me!

esbboston.blogspot.com said...

I have lots of rituals with my dog Cooper. The main one is every time I leave the house he always comes to the front door so that I can properly tell him good-bye. I tell him how much I love him and how wonderful he is, and where I am going and why. If the trip involves him, such as going to the store to get his food or a new package of chew bones, then I tell him this info as well. After I leave the house he will sometimes jump up on the couch to look out through the vertical blinds and I will wave good-bye after I have pulled out onto the street so he can clearly see me. After I wave and blow him a kiss he leaves the window. When my wife leaves the house he makes no effort to do anything at the door with her.

My Name is Jacy said...

I love this! I don't have any odd rituals per sey (so yeah... you're weird... kidding :) but I do love the routine my son and I share. Every night it's the exact same and I just love that time I get to spend with him- distraction free.

Thanks for sharing this.... :)

Steve said...

Not odd at all. Actually very cool, at least I think so. Those are the things your kids will remember their whole lives, and most likely do something similar with their kids. You're an awesome mom Kim, thanks for sharing.

The Flying Tortoise said...

It was a long long time ago... I really enjoy remembering... Thankyou for reminding me to remember...
And yes, I'd like to see the video...